The National Examination Board of Occupational Safety & Health (NEBOSH) is arguably one of the most well-respected awarding bodies for Health and Safety Qualifications in any industry worldwide. Since it was founded in 1979 over 400,000 delegates have been successful in achieving a NEBOSH qualification.
Courses are grouped into 4 categories – Awards, Certificates, Diplomas and Masters. The most popular of these however, are Certificates and Diplomas as they are an excellent route to begin or enhance a career within Health and Safety.
NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
This course is particularly useful for Supervisors, Managers and anyone within a Health & Safety role. It focuses on 4 key areas;
- How to effectively manage Health & Safety
- How to identify and control common workplace hazards
- How to measure if you’ve been successful
- The UK’s key legal requirements
And once complete, successful delegates will be able to:
- Confidently carry out risk assessments.
- Develop and implement a detailed action plan.
- Manage and minimise workplace risks.
- Support and develop your workplaces Health & Safety culture.
This course is split into 2 modules (NGC1 & NGC2) and both modules are assessed slightly differently:
- NGC1 – Open book exam.
- NGC2 – Practical Risk Assessment to assess your knowledge and understanding.
Again, once complete, successful delegates are entitled to join IOSH as an Associate member. It also meets the academic level for a Tech membership but this membership is also based on experience levels.
National Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
The natural step from the General Certificate this qualification is quite a bit more intense and in-depth, and although it is not essential, it is highly recommended that any delegate undertaking the Diploma has previously completed the General Certificate.
Once successfully completed delegates will be able to:
- Understand how Health & Safety legislation is applied in a workplace and the possible enforcements actions that could be taken.
- Identify and effectively communicate relevant Health & Safety information.
- Advise on a range of common workplace Health & Safety issues, including how they can be assessed, controlled, and monitored.
- Develop a Health & Safety policy strategy.
- Contribute to a risk management strategy.
- Develop and audit Health & Safety Management Systems.
- Manage contractors and supply chains to ensure compliance with standards.
This course is split into 3 modules which are assessed in the following ways:
- ND1 – Assignment around work-based tasks.
- ND2 – Case study.
- ND3 – Case Study.
Again, once complete, successful delegates are entitled to join IOSH as Graduate member, which can also lead to a Chartered membership.
Methods of study
Both courses along with the majority of other NEBSOH qualifications can be delivered in a few different ways and ultimately the best option for you will really come down to your preferred learning style, your availability and budget. Training can be done; by e-learning, virtually or in a classroom.
If you would like anymore information on any NEBOSH qualification speak with one of our advisors today – 01563 657 778